March 18

Swarm #1, The first swarm of the season was discovered in a bait hive I had set up in Concord. I moved it to my home yard and set out another bait hive.

Update: 3/19/14, The swarm has been in the bait hive at least 10 days. There are four frames of bees and the queen is poor with a very spotty brood pattern. I added a full frame of brood from another hive to strengthen it planning to split it into 2 nucs for ripe queen cells on March 27th.

Update: 3/26/14, I split the hive into two 5 frame deep nucs and gave them queen cells.

Update: 4/12/14, Both nucs now have laying queens.


Leave a Reply